Tuesday 4 December 2012

MY EXPERIMENT

One of the teacher at IMS relates, “I was a little scared when I joined back at school after a long gap. Scared in the sense you wouldn’t understand so moving on to the first day – the awesome little kids smiled, shouted, waved and asked as well answered as to where I had been; once we all got over we got back to the lesson and however difficult it was managed to study something. 
Next was Seerah period which almost everytime sets everything alright. There is silence, they are interested, they look up for details and they, no! we recite durood shareef and may be that’s the serene part but then came home work time and since it was a day off next day I thought it would be good if they wrote something so I gave some topic for paragraph writing.
My experiment began the next day, something inside told me not to get angry, maybe their welcoming part the day before or whatever so I did not have to punish anyone who didn’t do the homework; waisey bhi I had never liked making them stand up,   holding ears- never tried even and sending out of the room is a total waste of their time and I for one do not have the heart for all this strict punishment thing but then what? Reward? Ohkay may be that would do. I thought. But then, since I had slept after fajr (very bad idea) I got late so no chocolates.
  I had just entered the classroom and lo! “Ma’m I have done my work.” “Ma’m here take it” They were four or five only. There were some with excuses, “I have written half”, “Sorry left at home” etc too but they hadn’t done it. That’s the scary part now if you can understand. But I wasn’t to get angry, no chocolates either so? Time to experiment -  I went up to the  board and wrote the names with stars, a big smiley and under the head, ‘My favourite kids today’. We moved on to learning the rule of English grammar planned for the day, they did the exercises and then someone said, “ Ma’m if I give it to you now, you will write my name also?” It was working, I said a loud yes and like always couldn't help smiling. And lo! The exercises finished pretty soon and the compositions kept coming in. Thank God!

By the way, here is something for us; have a nice day teachers :)



No comments:

Post a Comment